As a large percentage of my clients are first-time parents celebrating the arrival of their little one, I completely understand that the process of a newborn photography shoot can seem a little daunting and confusing for those who have never done something similar...
Six Things To Do In Melbourne For The Little Ones
Known for its amazing food, café culture and sporting dedication, but what does Melbourne offer for the little ones?!! If you want to entertain/tire out your kids ‘under 5’ so you can enjoy that hip café you spotted just down from your hotel, here are our recommendations:
1. Sealife Melbourne Aquarium: Who doesn’t love a visit to the aquarium? And at Sealife Melbourne Aquarium, your little one can experience a truly mesmerizing morning of wonder and discovery. Open from 9:30am, you will encounter everything from stunning tropical fish, to adorable little penguins, not to mention a shark or two. Jump online prior to your visit to plan your trip around the fun and informative talks and feeding sessions that take place daily, and be prepared for the irresistible finds in the gift shop.
2.LEGOLAND Discovery Centre: With something for every family member (including dad!) Legoland Discovery Centre makes sure the little guys and girls aren’t forgotten. Among attractions such as the 4D cinema and ‘Miniland’ there is the Duplo Farm, designed specifically for ages 2-5. Here your little builder, or builders, can play safely with soft bricks and enjoy creating to their hearts content. If your little one is a daredevil, you can climb aboard the Merlin’s Apprentice Ride with them. For those kiddo’s 90cm and over, watch their eyes fill with excitement as they conjure the sorcerer’s spell to become Merlin’s next wizarding apprentice.
3. Ian Potter Foundation Children’s Garden: If getting out and about exploring nature is more your little ones ‘thing’, then the Ian Potter Foundation’s Children’s Garden is a must! Best viewed in spring, summer or autumn, the garden is located at the Royal Botanic Gardens and gives little fingers the chance to explore the natural world first hand. Be prepared with plenty of wipes for afterwards tough, this ones going to get grubby!
4. Animal Land Children’s Farm: With public transport in Melbourne so easy to navigate there is no excuse to miss out on this little gem. A true working farm, Animal Land Children’s Farm gives children a “tangible, practical farming experience”. Little ones can get truly hands-on with the opportunity to feed, handle and ride the animals located at the farm. Bookings aren’t essential but are recommended as the farm operates by tours only, and is open Wednesday’s and Friday’s for tours at 11am, and over the weekend for tours at both 10:30am and 1pm. Note, tours go for approximately 2 hours in duration.
5. Bulla Hill Railway: Located just 8 kilometres from Melbourne Airport, Bulla Hill Railway is operated by the members of Tullamarine Live Steam Society (TLSS); a group of enthusiastic people who love to share their passion for miniature steam, electric and diesel trains. Open from 12noon to 4pm on the third Sunday of each month, the Railway also boasts some truly cool dinosaur sculptures sure to wow the little minds of all who visit.
6. ArtPlay: Created for little ones from 0 to 12 years, ArtPlay is a space where little minds can soar. With workshops, events and performances run throughout the year, this activity is perfect for your budding little ‘Ken Done’. Located at Federation Square, be sure to jump online prior to visiting to check out what’s on. Please note bookings are required for some workshops, but there is a huge range of free drop-in events run also.
Checked out any of these must-see Melbourne haunts for little tikes? Have any other recommendations? Comment below and share.
Expecting a new baby? Contact me for information on booking a newborn photography session.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
OUR LATEST WORK
Meet Oscar! This little one was so excited to come into this world that he arrived 5 weeks early and in such a rush! What a beautiful surprise though because everyone was so excited to meet him, including big brother Will who I also photographed as a newborn over 2...
0409 549 823