Firstly, I would like to assure you that your baby is in safe and capable hands while in the studio with me. Having been a registered nurse for over a decade, I have an extensive background in paediatrics and the safety of your child will always be my biggest priority. My aim is to ensure that your experience with Always Belle Photography is as enjoyable as possible. The hardest part of your day should be leaving your house!
Typically, newborn photography sessions will last for approximately 2.5 – 3 hours. This may take a little longer if baby is unsettled, though I have a few tricks of my own that I would suggest to help your baby feel sleepy, settled and content. In order to achieve a smoother, quicker and generally more successful session (which means more beautiful photographs for you to enjoy!), I recommend the following tips:
1. When dressing your baby for the day, consider something that is easy to remove and does not require movement over the head. This will make it easier to prepare your baby for their photoshoot if they are already sleeping when you first arrive.
2. If you have a baby seat that is removable and able to be detached from the car, feel free to bring your baby in while they are still secured to minimise any disturbance.
3. I recommend feeding your baby prior to your session. To help you get those perfect shots, it’s important for your baby to feel as content and comfortable as possible. I also encourage you to give your baby a couple of extra top ups while you are in the studio for warmth and stimulation.
4. If you have a dummy, I would advise you to bring it along – Even if your baby doesn’t take one just yet. Sometimes babies can become a little more restless in particular poses, and often a dummy will help them to settle and soothe in just a few short minutes.
5. Finally, if your baby is awake or alert before you leave for your session, try to encourage as much stimulation as possible. If it’s possible to keep your baby awake for an hour or two prior to visiting me, it’s likely that they will be ready for a long sleep once we start. I would recommend bathing your baby beforehand and dressing them in just a nappy and allowing stimulation for a period of time afterwards.
If you weren’t quite sure of how to best prepare for the day of your photoshoot, I hope these tips have been helpful for you. Please feel free to get in touch with any further questions or queries that may pop up and I look forward to seeing you soon!